Thursday 14 October 2010

My wife was completely disinterested in the Chilean Miners' rescue! I found it moving, she was unmoved.

I have to admit to a experiencing a strange sensation when seeing so many others from around the world expressing their happiness in public on the BBC website.

I have a friend who recently won an award and when it was reported in the local newspaper some people wrote in to make strangely incorrect and disrespectful remarks. The friend felt that people who had nothing better to do than to go online and complain were donkeys (my word not hers) and to paraphrase something very old: 'if you are kicked in the head by a donkey........'.

So, although it was a positive emotion that I expressed am I just a donkey too? Or a sheep following the flock? When Diana POW died I was appalled by the public hysteria and took no part in any public display of grief, although I did moan about it down the pub sometimes.

I think my wife's disinterest shines an interesting light on me and I find it's illumination not wholly flattering. My sentiment was good and it was a joyous rescue so why not take part in it's celebration? And after all not many people look at my blog (possibly one!) so it was hardly a narcissistic post but I guess that is my fear.

What an introspective man I can be.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
If you are interested in my musical side a link to my other blog can be found on my profile page.